Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Извените, я занимался любовью

Nothing particularly exciting has happened to me since this weekend and given the previous rate of posts, I figured I should just provide an update saying that all is good.

I've decided to stay in the advanced class, probably for good. It's a bit more work, but I really prefer it that way - I'm paying to study, so study I'll do. Coincidentally, this also means I get compositions to write in the middle of the week (like tonight) in stead of on the weekends only. There's also a whole lot more vocabulary work for me to do to catch up with some of the other people in the class, but I should stress that I'm really not behind despite my late entry. Instead of doing inane grammar review and random vocabulary exercises like I was doing in the "elem-mediate" class, my new class consists of about one to two hours of solid conversation about our previous day, some reading exercises or pronunciation, and the rest of the time is consumed by conversation about various text that we read for homework. I'm thoroughly enjoying the challenge.

Today, I attempted to visit the Polytechnical Museum and succeeded more or less in doing so. However, posted hours and working hours don't mean the same thing in Russia. The museum is stated as staying open until 6:00, but when I got my ticket at 3:00, the lady there said it would close at 4:00 - which it promptly began to do at 3:30. I'm going back on Friday with my camera. There are some pretty cool things there that I'll keep as surprises until then. Our main excursion this weekend is to the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts. If I heard correctly on the TV show I was watching yesterday, some of the artifacts that Heinrich Schliemann found at Troy are there.

That's all for today - as I said, nothing particularly exciting has happened to me. But I nearly forgot - some of my classmates got "fined" 1500p (about $45) for drinking vodka in public (right outside the US Ambassador's house, as was later revealed). They then proceeded to finish the bottle and get on the Metro singing the National Anthem. Needless to say, almost our entire class on Monday was spent in conversation about their activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment