Sunday, July 4, 2010

4-го июля

Today is the 4th of July. I wouldn't need to declare this in America, but of course I'm not in America. Most of us here have better things to do today, so we celebrated yesterday by going to eat some real American food - that is, we went to a Russian TGI Friday's (actually, we tried to go to Sbarro, but I may or may not have gotten us lost). We had spent the afternoon at the WWII museum at Park Pobedy, where we found a statue of an American soldier on a monument to the Allies. We made plans to return today with large quantities of drink to sing the national anthem from the statue, but I don't think this is actually going to happen. Anyway, Happy Birthday America - I'm spending the day teaching myself participles in preparation for the advanced class tomorrow (taking a short break to write this).

So, since it's Independence Day and I have nothing to do, (nor do I feel like talking about the museum from yesterday) you will be graced with maps of the Metro. I apologize in advance if the pictures don't fit on the page - this matter I will attempt to fix as soon as possible. UPDATE: I have (kind of) fixed the issue. The images are distorted, but as usual, click them for the better quality image.

This first map is the most simplified. It is the one that is posted in the stations and on the trains:

For a more geographically oriented map go to this site: http://www.metromap.ru/

This next map also shows the current system, but is probably the most complicated version I could find. It includes a bunch of technical information that isn't needed at all:



The fourth map I have for you is what the system is supposed to look like in 2041. Be warned, if you want to actually be able to move around the city, come before this happens, I beg you:



And the final map is just to mess with your heads a bit. This is the current system, turned inside out around the circle line:



The system is usually straightforward, and once you become accustomed, it can be pretty easy to use. I will however, admit to having become lost multiple times for one of two reasons. 1) Some stations are shutdown at random times of day for God knows what - in this case it usually becomes necessary to make at least three transfers in order to bypass that station. 2) Stations like Китай Город have two lines that come together on the SAME PLATFORM. So if you want to make a transfer, theoretically you can just walk across the platform to the other line - not so fast. I was there two days ago on my Seven Sisters Scavenger Hunt. There are actually two platforms here, but one platform serves both lines in one direction and the other platform serves both lines in the other direction (confused yet?). There is also an incorrectly placed sign on one of the platforms, which is what caused me to make three transfers between the platforms before I figured out where I was. Needless to say, the Metro is convenient, but on occasion it can be a hassle (but the stations are so amazingly decorated, I wouldn't care either way).

The inside of Komsomolskaya on the Circle Line - proof

No comments:

Post a Comment