Thursday, July 1, 2010

"S" as in "Dollar"


Добрый день, Москва

My week has ended and there isn't much to talk about. I've been extremely bored in the intermediate class, so on Monday I'll be trying out the advanced class. If I like it, I'll stay there. Tomorrow, I'm going to go on a scavenger hunt of sorts - to photograph all of Stalin's "Seven Sisters." It should prove to be an interesting adventure across most of the city, and I'll get to see some Metro stations that I haven't been in yet. They're probably one of the coolest things about living here. I've already talked about how much is underground, but it's not depressing. I prefer to use the Metro even to go just one stop simply because the stations are so interesting. Each one has a theme, and the older ones are extremely elaborate. Most are also entirely lined with marble, plaster, and mosaic work. The"Ploschad' Revolutsii" (Revolution Square) station has life-sized statues of people in heroic poses holding things like a jackhammer or discus, which line every arched pathway from the center hall to the platforms.

Professor Medvedev has been doing his thing in Alps this week so we've had alternative professors for our two lectures. Today's lecture was conducted by Sergej Kortunov. Here is a translation on his Wikipedia page - the CV is where I would like to draw your attention. He wasn't a particularly good lecturer, in the sense that he didn't exactly speak English. In fact, on a few occasions he spoke in Russian and asked us to translate. But he was very interesting. Another reason that I'm switching classes is because of this fool that I just can't put up with anymore (who I'd rather not talk about on here). He kept asking the dumbest questions, mostly relating to Chechnya - I get the impression that he thinks everything in Russian politics revolves around Chechnya - and he kept sidetracking Professor Kortunov. So, in short, the lecture would have been more interesting if we hadn't spent the last 40 minutes or so (of a 90 minutes lecture) talking about Chechnya, which had nothing to do with Professor Kortunov's point about the political decision-making process in the Russian government. Anyway, I'll leave it there for today; it's my weekend, which means time to do vocabulary exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment